In the interest of fire prevention, life safety, and property protection, the Los Altos Hills County Fire District (“Fire District”) contracted with S.P. McClenahan Co. for brush chipping and disposal services (“Services”) at no cost to Fire District residents (“Residents”). Services for AREA 2, and 3 are scheduled to begin January 2020 or during the subsequent months, as conditions permit.
Fire Science Guidelines – Residents are encouraged to make their home more defensible against a wildland fire by removing hazardous brush, tree limbs and vegetation. Fire science guidelines recommend clearing flammable vegetation to create defensive space of a minimum of 30 feet or up to 100 feet from structures. Tree limbs should be cut within 10 feet of chimneys and trees that are 18 feet or taller should be limbed 6 feet above the ground.
How to sign up? Please fill out and submit the online request form below by January 23rd for Area 2, or by February 10th for Area 3. Select one of the three-time frames offered. You can select that chips be left on your property or hauled away. If you opt to keep the chips, in order to comply with local quarantine measures, you may only keep debris chipped from your property. S.P. McClenahan Co. will contact you one day prior to their arrival; more advance notice will be given if possible.
The following Terms, Conditions and Service Requirements are required for the program to work effectively and safely:
- All cut brush must be stacked within 10 feet of your driveway or roadway on a level area prior to the week you selected for service, with the cut ends facing the driveway or roadway. Do not stockpile cut brush on public or private road travel lanes.
- The only items that will be chipped are tree limbs and cut brush. Any tree or brush limb that is more than 4 inches in diameter cannot be chipped.
- Please be sure that these items are not in among the cut brush piles:
- No wood larger than 4 inches diameter, no items of treated wood or lumber
- No lawn trimmings, sod, yucca, ice plant, bamboo, stumps, pampas grass, palm fronds, cactus, rock, dirt, and leaves without branches
- NO POISON OAK
- Sign and return the enclosed card acknowledging the Terms, Conditions and Service Requirements, authorizing entry onto your property, and indemnifying the Fire District and the Independent Contractor, S.P. McClenahan.
Services will not be performed at properties that fail to follow all Terms, Conditions, and Service Requirements.
We look forward to assisting you with removing combustible vegetation on your property. If you have any questions, please contact S.P. McClenahan Co. at 650-326-8781 or the Los Altos Hills County Fire District at 650-949-1044.